Saturday, April 18, 2020

Showering with my best friend.......

We are ALL in a different place today than we were several yesterdays ago.  I said in my last post I would NOT get into the current events.  

However, 

Blessings surround each of us.  All the time.  Daily even.  But we don't often take the time to stop and notice them.  Or, we take them for granted until the day they are no longer.  I've had a lot of excess time on my hands with the pickleball courts presently off limits.  It's given me some time to do a little self reflection. 

Today, I realized I am truly blessed to have an unbelievably incredible, caring, patient, talented dog groomer.  I've known Christina for ages.  I, at one point, had the privilege to teach her only daughter.  (Yep, talk about feeling old.  That little cutie patootie is now a full grown woman!  When the heck did that happen?)  Sorry, I digress.  

To get back on track; Christina, great groomer. I always appreciated that I could call up, ten minutes later drop off Maggie, and then I'd get a phone call a couple of hours later informing me she was ready for pickup.  Voila ~ a beautifully groomed and manicured dog who smelled fabulous.

During this "downtime" Maggie's hair has grown exponentially.  I reached the point I could not handle her hair obscuring her vision.  She was literally tilting her head at an angle in order to see. Additionally, she was now far from her usual pleasant smelling self.  She had a lingering scent that could be associated along the lines of something one could purchase from the Peppe La' Pew & Friends catalog.  Not to point fingers or noses, I too, during this "downtime", have not always exuded the most pleasant fragrance either.
  
So, what's a girl to do?  That's right, we showered together.  One of us was there willingly, the other, not so much.

To Maggie's credit, she calmed down and did rather well once she realized she could NOT escape from the shower.  She sat patiently while I towel dried her.  She even sat still while I got out the scissors.  However, there was a substantial amount of side eye glances at me.  I can truly state, before today I had  never actually heard a dog groan out loud before.  And even though I used detangling spray on her goldendoodle coat, she wasn't the most pleasant when I ever so gently combed out her matted fur and then blew it semi-dry.  It was when I decided to go a little farther in her fur trimming, maybe even a little overboard, that things got a little spicy.  

Don't judge me, I recently saw a bunch of your social media posts showing old photos of haircuts and bang trims your mothers gave you back in the day.

Needless to say, currently my dog will not have anything to do with me.  Even when I attempted to bribe her with a bone treat.  She went into a self imposed exile.  You know a dog is completely dejected when you watch them walk over and OPEN their own kennel door to walk in and lay down - with their butt facing you.  I'm hopeful her disdain for me passes quickly.

Christina, tonight I raise my glass to you.  I appreciate you more than you'll ever know.  Please put Maggie in your calendar for the first available appointment.  I pray she will be on good terms with me by then. 

In closing, I just read a quote that resonated with me:

If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

     ~ African Proverb ~

I look forward to going far with you....  

Thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment